Let us fill you in on what has happened in the last few weeks!
FEBRUARY INVESTOR DRIVE
We began February with a push to gain ten new monthly investors at $100 per month. What we didn’t know is that God already had them lined up, ready and waiting. We found some had started giving monthly in January and we didn’t get notice until mid-February. We made little Zambia flag bubbles that “popped” with a check-mark to show that we had one more family parter with us. The final bubble was completed on February 29. We were doing our own special “Leap Day” dance!
BIG BOY FUNDRAISER
On March 7, the Wyoming area Big Boy restaurant hosted a 100% profit fundraiser for us. The owner’s children are students of Brad’s at Vanguard. We had four hours of food and fun connecting with old and new friends. In all, we raised $500 which will be helpful in preparing instruments that we have collected to be used at the Music Academy.
Perhaps the most exciting aspect of the last month was setting a “GO” date. July 1 is the target for us to leave to start doing what we have been preparing for nearly two years. There are some other “GO” goals we need to meet between then and now: mainly closing the funding gap.
AND NOW… BACK TO THE FUTURE…
We have some events coming up in the next two months that you are invited to.
KCC AFRICAN DINNER
On Sunday, April 17, Kentwood Community Church is hosting a African Dinner for us at 12:30 in the gym. The meal will be an authentic African meal prepared by our friends at the Wayfinders Refugee Ministry. You can come hear more details about the lives that the Lord is changing both in Africa and right here in Michigan. This is a fundraising event to close that gap as part of our “GO” goal.
HOWELLS to ZAMBIA 6:8 5K
If you don’t know much about Brad, he has become a runner over the past five years. He has coached his school’s Running Club for 3rd through 5th grade students, ran a half marathon (13.1 miles), a 25K race (15.5 miles), and a full marathon (26.2 miles). He has drawn his best friend and both Jaedon and Seth into the addiction! We thought, why not host a 5K (3.1 miles) for fun and for fundraising?
The numbers in the name come from Micah 6:8 where we are told that God requires us to Seek Justice, Love Mercy, and Walk Humbly with Him. These three components have become the core purpose of our mission in Zambia.
To register, go to www.runsignup.com/h2z685k.
As our adventure continues, please lift up a few prayer needs:
1) Parenting in the busy-ness of preparations, event-planning, and engaging in our kids’ hearts in the transition.
2) Funding: closing the “GO” goal gap. Most of this is airline tickets and vehicle expenses. Pray that God will reveal His new monthly investors throughout the next three months. (If you are one of them, visit www.poetice.org/invest/howellsfamily)
3) New relationships: Unity amongst co-workers (American and Zambian); friends for our kids.
4) Logistics: packing up house; delivering home goods and instruments for shipping; renters for our house.
5) Finishing strong: This one is personally from Brad- As I leave my job at Vanguard, there are a lot of memories and relationships wrapped together here. Coming to grips with the “end” of that is difficult as I can become sentimental (for very good reasons!). I have been so blessed with a such great work environment that I forgot it was work!